Friday, January 8, 2010

Our New Place

As many of you know, this has been Jay's life for the past 6 years. Up and down I-95 to get to work every day. It is a terrible stretch of freeway going into/out of Washington D.C. When we first moved here we settled in Stafford County because we could afford a large house there and the schools are really good there. So Jay made the sacrifice and commuted to work every day.
We had been talking for a while about having a grand adventure and moving to the city after Jake graduated. I wasn't sure if it would really happen, the housing market being what it is, there were so many houses for rent that I didn't know if we could rent ours. Jay and I made our lists of pros and cons, prayed about it, and decided that we would put our house up for rent, and if it was meant to be, it would all work out. Well, we put our house up for rent at 9 pm on a Wednesday night, and by Thursday we had 4 people come look at it. One man really wanted it for his family moving from Colorado, so we rented it to him that day. The next day we went out looking for apartments and found our new home.

We are loving city life, and our little one-bedroom apartment. Those who know me know that I am very good at purging, I don't hang on to much unless it really means something to me, so I pretty much sold all my furniture except the little that we brought with us. We have a storage unit that is full of our children's belongings that we will keep until they have places of their own to store them. Also, all my Christmas decorations are stored there.

I have never seen Jay so happy as the day he sold his lawn mower and weed-eater! He always worked hard on our yard, and always kept it nice, but it was not something that gave him much pleasure. Now he can spend his Saturdays on the golf course, he's earned it!

We are on the 16th floor, top balcony on the left

The view from our balcony

Jay and Molly on the balcony

No comments: