Thursday, February 26, 2009

18 Years Ago Today, An Answer To A Prayer

Jay left for the Gulf War when I was 8 months pregnant.  It was not an easy time for me, I had three small children at home, and, at the time, they were predicting a very bad war with many casualties.  Jay was the commander of a field artillery battery, so I needed to watch over all the wives of the soldiers in our battery while the men were deployed.  I did pretty well, I just did what I knew what to do, which was making them all visiting teachers to each other (they never knew what hit them).  We all took care of each other and watched the news and waited.

During the beginning it was mostly air strikes.  I did pretty well during those days.  But then the day came with an announcement on the news that the ground war had begun.  My due date was still a week away and I was very worried about how I would keep it all together for my kids and the other wives. I remember thinking that I didn't want to watch the news, but I couldn't NOT watch the news.  I just didn't know how I was going to get through it.

I knelt in prayer that morning and asked my Heavenly Father to please help me get through this, and to be able to not worry, so that it could stay somewhat calm around the house.  Now, I have received many answers to prayers throughout my life, but I know my Heavenly Father was aware of me that day, that He heard my prayer, and blessed me.

I went into labor that afternoon and Jacob was born that evening, February 26, 1991, the day the ground war began.  I spent the next four days in the hospital, focused on my baby, and by the time I went home, the war was pretty much over.  

Every year, when Jacob's birthday rolls around, I am reminded that his birth was an answer to my prayers, that he came at the exact time that I needed him to, and that our Heavenly Father knows us individually and will always watch over us.

Fast forward a couple of months, Jay came home safely and saw his son for the first time.

I am grateful every day for Jake.  He has brought happiness and fun to our home for 18 years.  I am so proud of the wonderful young man that he is.

        HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAKE



3 comments:

Jessica A said...

Mom this made me cry! You and Dad are both my hero's and you are both stronger then we ever realized growing up. I love "little" Jake so much and I can NOT believe that the baby of the fam is 18! What a great person he has turned out to be!

Alanya/Ally said...

It almost made me cry, too... goosebumps. That is such an amazing story and blessing. You've raised such a wonderful family and I'm grateful to you, my second mom. Happy birthday, Jake! I hope you bring many more wonderful moments and memories to your family!

Heather Magnusson said...

oh, you made me cry....