Saturday, December 20, 2008

When husbands think they're helping, a Thanksgiving story

I was having two families over for Thanksgiving dinner, about 13 people, including us.  Now, anyone that knows me knows that entertaining is not my strong suit.  I love to socialize, but being in charge of the get-together usually puts me in panic mode.  But, to me, Thanksgiving is one of those holidays where you need to surround yourself with loved ones.  Since our family was not nearby, then we needed to surround ourselves with our other loved ones, our best friends.

I had cleaned the house and the turkey was in the oven.  That's when it happened.  Jay looked up at the ceiling and took note of the stain from the water leak we had had earlier this year. The ceiling didn't look that bad to me, I didn't think anyone would really notice, but Jay decided he would paint it really fast before everyone got there.  (This was about one hour before everyone was to arrive).  I told him I didn't want the house to smell like paint, and it wasn't that noticeable.  But he insisted he could paint it really fast and it would look a lot better.

He has some cool ceiling paint that goes on pink so you can see where you've painted, and then it turns to white when it is dry.  So there he went, painted the area, and it was nice and pink.  I went on with my food preparations and at about 10 minutes to dinner time I noticed that the ceiling was still pink.  I asked Jay why it wasn't dry yet and he said it should be dry by then.  I looked closer and realized that the ceiling bore a strong resemblance to Julie's bedroom wall, which is a nice PINK color!

We then realized that in his haste to get the job done, Jay had grabbed the paint can with Julie's bedroom wall color.  It was nice and dry on the ceiling, and it was PINK!  (he said he just saw the pink color on the side of the can and grabbed it, but if he had thought it through, if it was the ceiling paint, the color on the side of the can should have been white, since it dries white!)

So, instead of a small water stain on the ceiling that I'm sure my guests would never have noticed, they were all quite impressed with the big pink circle on the ceiling!  This is why I don't entertain!  

Below is a picture of Jay fixing his masterpiece.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jessica A said...

That story is awesome! I was laughing so hard. Good ol dad.