Friday, October 24, 2008

It was Heaven on Earth

War college was over.  Jay would soon be beginning a new job, a new DEMANDING job, and Julie was leaving soon for college.  It was the perfect time to get away before all the madness began.  I had always wanted to go on a cruise, but Jay swore that he'd never take me on one since the time he took me on a dinner cruise around Seattle and I spent the whole time in the bathroom violently ill.

My motion sickness is legendary.  Every family travel story from my childhood includes some mention of me throwing up somewhere on someone.  So I pretty much ruled out the possibility of ever taking a cruise.  Then Jessica went on a cruise for her honeymoon.  She inherited my motion sickness gene, but... she didn't get sick!  "The ship is big Mom, you never feel like you're moving."

I armed myself with this knowledge and started my plan of attack with Jay.  But, you know, he loves me (and he loves a good vacation), so all I had to do was mention (over and over for about a month) that it would be a great trip and he was on board!  I also promised that I wouldn't get sick.  And I didn't!  Our trip was perfect in every way, perfect weather, perfect food, perfect ship, sooooo romantic, and tons of fun!

Our first view of the ship in the Port of Miami

Set Sail party on deck

Our first day was spent at sea so Jay tried to master the FlowRider and learn to surf

Our first port was Labadee, Haiti.  Beautiful!

The water called to us

The daredevils wanted to go off on their own, and fast!

After dinner there's always a new friend waiting for us


5 comments:

Jordan, Aubrey, Kaden, and Toby said...

I love the guy in the speedo in the background

Heather Magnusson said...

I found you afterall! Cute photos... just started, so I'll be reading awhile :)

Julie H. said...

Someday...... :)

Jessica A said...

I am so proud of you! Look at all this blogging you are doing. After reading this I am dying to go on another cruise. Maybe one day we will drop off our future children and get away again so be prepared!

Alanya/Ally said...

It looks like you had a blast! I'm jealous... we were suposed to go on a cruise two weeks ago... most of Andy's family went and we missed out. Someday! I cannot believe how tall Jake is!!! Did he get that from you? :) I can't wait to see you!