Friday, May 1, 2009

The joys of home ownership

As you know, we have lived many places.  We have bought and sold many houses.  I have to admit, I really loved my time living in quarters when we lived on military bases.  My quarters in Germany were huge and I loved living there. My quarters at Ft. Lewis were a bit small for our family, but I still loved living in them.  I liked the fact that when something needed to be fixed, I could just call a phone number and a nice man would come fix it.  I miss that.

We have noticed for some time that our garage doors were not going to last much longer.  I just hated the thought of what it would cost to replace them, so we just kept putting it off.  But when it got to the point that we could only open one of the doors, we knew the time had come. So today we got new garage doors.

I can think of PLENTY of things I would have rather done with the money, but this is the reality of home ownership.  For those of you still in quarters or in apartments, enjoy it while you can!  As for me, I will just have to go outside and admire the new doors every day  to make me feel better.


                            Our house before new garage doors

                   As you can see, the door is not in good shape

                  Jay's repair job is not going to last much longer

                                        New garage doors!  


4 comments:

Jessica A said...

Awwww. Too bad you couldn't take the money and fly me out and go on a scrapbook shopping spree and then do crafts all weekend.
I am sure the garage doors will bring you just as much joy as shopping and playing with your daughter.
Or maybe not.........

Julie H. said...

Ooooo.... Ahhhhhh.....

Alanya/Ally said...

Ahh! Very nice! The doors look great! I can't say that I love living in a rented place because we sent in a request 7 months ago for things to be fixed and still nobody has come!!!

Thanks for the comment on my blog. I would LOVE for you to come and babysit my kids. In fact I was just talking about you last night while I was running (11 miles) with my friend, Angela. When is your next visit to the west? BTW, I don't think you would like to babysit my kids right now... I'll have to chat about it later, but the short version is Sammy's doctor thinks she has O.D.D. and it's been quite the challenge, especially on my end.

I hope your home is kind to you for a long time!!!

Heather Magnusson said...

what is this I heard you are moving into DC????